United Nations Development Programme Recruitment for Civil Engineer 2018.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Civil Engineer
Job ID: 16236
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 12 months with possibility of an extension
- UNDP Nigeria has been supporting early recovery and stabilization of communities that are damaged under the Boko Haram Insurgency in the three most affected States in the North East Nigeria, namely Adamawa, Borno and Yobe.
- To support the communities, UNDP has launched its integrated early recovery programme, “Integrated Community Stabilization Programme (ICSP)”. With an area-based approach to the communities affected by the conflicts and displacement, UNDP’s integrated support focuses on: 1) enhancing Livelihoods of conflict-affected people; 2) restoring Basic services in target communities; 3) establishing effective and accountable local governance at community and state level; and 4) rebuilding Social cohesion and re-establishing community security.
- The second component of the Programme, basic services restoration includes rehabilitation or construction of public facilities, including schools, health facilities, solar power facilities, water boreholes and other governmental facilities. More than 30 public facilities are planned to be rehabilitated or newly constructed in 2018 across the three States.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Certify designs of the facilities that are submitted by the respective authorities for civil works in Borno State
- Certify the Bills of Quantities (BoQs) submitted by the respective authorities and verify the BoQs before initiating the procurement process;
- Lead and support in the review and verification of the BoQs already prepared by the respective departments of national counterparts;
- Support and lead ICSP engineers in the technical evaluation process and provide advice on any procurement related issues;
- Support ICSP project team in verifying the Variation orders VO (if and when applicable);
- Revision and verification of payment requests submitted by the contractors before proceeding with disbursements of payments;
- Provide technical inputs to strengthen alignment and complementarity of UNDP’s support with government policies and plans.
- Assist UNDP as expert witness in litigation arising from the development or construction of the project and in bearings before various approving and regulatory agencies.
- Analyse and share information with the team and the local technical teams.
- Support the assessment activities of the targeted sites in Borno State;
- Support the implementation of project activities, where required, and advise on project contracting requirements;
- Monitor day-to-day progress of project activities and promptly report any abnormality or risks to the respective UNDP project managers and project teams
- Develop and design interventions based on the accurate information and risk analysis on the ground and utilizing lessons learned from the activities in consultation and coordination with respective Project Managers
- Follow up and oversee the rehabilitation of civil, electrical and mechanical works at site preparation and execution of the Works against the provided approved sketch and bill of quantities within the set time frame
- Construction Inspection including inspection of materials, equipment’s to be installed.
- Check materials received at construction/renovation sites against damages, missing parts and appropriate ratings; ensuring that the materials/equipment provided by the Contractor meets UNDP requirement and standards.
- Ensures that materials/equipment provided by the Contractor meets accepted requirement and standards.
- Discuss site issues with the Contractor and promptly report back to UNDP if a problem arises that requires UNDP input.
- Checks and certifies substantial construction progress/ completion and the corresponding payments. Advice UNDP to withhold payments for any work which has been rejected or any work which is not in compliance with the contract documents.
- Ensure that the Contractor maintain safety on the site and clean the site after the completion of the rehabilitation work.
- Ability to think conceptually and flexibly, capacity to adapt, innovate, and propose multiple options.
- A team player with good interpersonal skills
- Ability to practice courtesy and diplomacy with high rank officials.
- Time management skills.
- Enjoy sensitivity for research and academic integrity.
- Ability to work well under pressure and stressful environment
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certificate:
- Masters Degree or Equivalent in Civil Engineering.
- Registration in the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) before 2018
- Minimum 5 years of extensive coordination and development experience including renovation and construction works.
- Experience in design, preparation of BoQ, estimated costs of civil structures;
- Construction supervision experience of buildings, utility services, schools, etc
- Experience in handling of tender documents for turnkey contracts, including technical inputs/specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions of international lending/funding agencies
- Preparation of work progress reports, daily, weekly, milestone, etc
- Proven ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams and liaison with authorities.
- Experience in supervising rehabilitation works and managing projects.
- Experience with UN or international organization working in crisis-affected country, especially Nigeria would be an advantage.
Technical skills required:
- Functionally-related professional management skills.
- Technical related skills.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work activities to meet organizational goals and organize and oversee work processes efficiently to achieve quality results.
- Knowledge of strategic planning processes, programming.
- Reporting skills.
- Fluent in English and Haussa
Previous UN Experience:
- Experience from previous UN assignments and/or multilateral organizations and bi-lateral aid organizations would be an asset.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Apply
Application Deadline: 17th May, 2018.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was interesting right, if yes, don’t hesitate using our share button below to inform – friends and relation via Facebook, twitter or Google+.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [email protected] to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.
Don’t Attend to Any Call from this WEBSITES Pertaining to any Job or Scholarship Offer Requiring Money.
Tags: Civil Engineer at United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, United Nations Development Programme, United Nations Development Programme Recruitment, United Nations Development Programme Recruitment for Civil Engineer 2018